Financial Director, US
Reporting to: Global Chief Financial Officer
Our Commercial Community looks to support our people in creating transformative brands that move businesses, people and the world forward. Our business never stands still, we believe that our commercial activities shouldn't either. We strive for continuous improvement of our tools and processes to support growth, while retaining the quality of the work and our talent and culture.
As the Finance Director, your key role will be to provide strategic and financial guidance, to ensure we deliver on our financial commitments, and that we pull the right levers to achieve profitable long-term growth for our business. You will be a key partner to the Wolff Olins US President, Global Principals, and US Executive Leadership Team.
You will be accountable for developing and delivering the necessary policies, procedures and metrics to ensure the sound financial management and control of our business. You will be responsible for the usual aspects of the financial guardianship plus using that knowledge to help inform and advise the more commercial aspects of client related areas, such as procurement and price negotiations, and involvement with the legal angles relating to all those and others.
Working within a lean team in a dynamic environment, where rapid responses are often required, you will need to flex between being hands-on and strategic.
You will play an active role in both the US management and global finance teams, while partnering with client leads. You will also be responsible for working with and ensuring the Omnicom shared service centre delivers effectively.
This role will be integral to its own development as the aim of the business is to grow and increase market share in the US.
You are responsible for:
● Advising client leads on a variety of pricing models for client contracts along with Corporate Lawyers reviewing and negotiating global client contracts and NDA’s across various time zones
● Ensuring our standard commercial contracts are regularly reviewed
● Monitoring supplier contracts to ensure that these are operating effectively and providing the best value, including the negotiation of terms
● Offering guidance on all governmental and regulatory matters, including Intellectual Property and insurance, and tax
● Overseeing commercial risk and credit applications
● Lead & manage US Finance team towards effective and accurate financial statements and management information, whilst looking for ways to incorporate further best practice and efficiencies
● Developing and controlling the US operating budget to ensure all financial targets are met
● Delivering key business metrics enabling strategic and tactical decision making
● Presenting financial forecasts, models and progress to US President, Global CFO and Global CEO, and parent company as required
● Working with Head of HR to have a clear understanding of our people structure and potential investment in talent
● Working with Head of HR to develop retention and reward strategies
● Overseeing our existing property requirements
● Management of fixed assets and capital purchases
● Overseeing the relationship with outsourced IT support
● Managing the operational processes in partnership with the President
● Developing, communicating and managing the expected standard of the community
● Cultivating a culture of learning by sharing knowledge and best practice
● Playing an active role in reviewing and improving the performance of the community, including building our organic growth capabilities
● Playing an active role in ensuring the community has the right overall shape and mix of talents to support our business ambition
● Where appropriate leading formal performance review process for the community
● Working across offices to align on best practices
● Champion sharing of feedback of work by attending and encouraging attendance to crit day
● Strategic partner with the US President in forecasting and modelling for planned growth, creating financial targets and dashboards including agreeing relevant KPI’s
● Working with the Global CFO to ensure all financial targets meet our parent company expectations for growth and profit margin
● Developing the financial strategy to support the wider business strategy
● Clearly and concisely presenting our financial strategy to the business and our parent company
● Providing commercial guidance to business leads in support of them meeting their targets
● Ensure policies and procedures are effective for efficient financial management
● Carrying out all necessary actions to ensure that the company meets its financial and legal obligations
● Ensuring assistance to external auditors in year end reporting
● Delivering accurate financial reports in line with reporting deadlines
● Assisting the shared service centre where required in the preparation of the company's statutory accounts and tax returns
● Maintenance of SOX Compliance & issue remediation
● Responsible for the preparation of management accounts & corporate group reporting
● Manage internal and external relationships such as: banks, external and internal auditors, tax authorities, group management, etc.
● Responsible over the integrity, completeness and accuracy of financial statements
● Responsible for full balance sheet management
● Management of working capital
● Streamline the “local book to corporate book” reporting process via a shared service centre
● Manage and complete the budgeting & forecasting process liaising closely with the CFO
● Responsible over the accuracy & integrity of timesheet accountability and payroll reporting
● Facilitate Staff on the job training & coaching,
● Deliver formal value add management information including but not limited to:
● In depth Variance Analysis, Income Analysis, & Revenue Recognition
● KPI Modelling & Reporting
● Department & Business Units Efficiency / Trend Analysis
● Job / Client Profitability -Workforce Utilization
● Risk & Exposure Management
You will be a hands-on practitioner who delivers results and enjoys working in a creative environment. Having previously led the finance function within the creative industry you will have experience in partnering and managing multi-tiered stakeholders within the parameters of a US holding company setting.
You will ideally hold a CPA qualification or MBA and/or technical experience in financial reporting and taxation, regulation and compliance, compensation & beneﬁt, risk analysis, cost control and contractual law based on experience .
Dynamics AX experience and HFM system knowledge would be beneficial.
● Strong leadership, motivational, teamwork, people management and accountability skills
● Be an innovative and creative spirit for work practices and management information
● Be constantly thinking about strategic ways to improve and grow the business
● Follow through and ability to prioritize
● Facilitator of the local business requirements as well as the corporate requests
● Attention to detail but ability to see the big picture
● Possess a can/will do positive attitude
● Be a good communicator
● Experience in BPR & Process Automation
● Financially astute and commercially aware/business savvy
● Prior creative/agency experience is ideal
● Dynamics AX experience a plus but not an absolute requirement
● Minimum 5 years in a senior level finance role
Be driven to deliver - You are here to do the best work of your life. Ambitious for yourself and our people, you place a strong emphasis on achieving outstanding results. You have energy others feed off and are good at ensuring things happen. You have the ability and drive to identify and seize business opportunities proactively.
Take an analytical approach - You love data, technology, analysing information and establishing the facts. You ask probing questions, understand the logic behind arguments and seek solutions to issues which arise. You can distil information to make robust rationale business recommendations and can present information clearly and concisely in person or writing.
Dare to imagine - You enjoy developing strategies, which focus on long term issues and create a clear vision for the future. You think beyond the status quo and produce original ideas. You take time to understand the underlying principles and can apply these when developing concepts.
Create Impact - You are persuasive and place emphasis on negotiating the best deal, thinking beyond immediate cost and profitability. You enjoy presenting and have the ability to confidently make your point and explain your thoughts clearly and concisely. You are willing to challenge others and voice your disagreement.
Lead with purpose - You are inclined to take control of a situation, coordinating others to ensure success. You are interested in empowering, motivating and inspiring others and offer encouragement and support to ensure they succeed. You lean into big decisions and will always uphold the fundamental ethical and legal commercial and financial obligations.