Strategy Director - 12 month contract
We’ve always been ambitious for the work and optimistic for the world, challenging what’s possible, exploring new ways of doing things and using our creativity to push business, people and the world forward. Our strategy community works with ambitious organisations at inflection points, helping them to define a future path and make a bigger impact commercially, creatively and culturally.
We are looking for a Strategy Director to join our team for a 6-12 month contract. Our Strategy Directors play a crucial role in leading the strategic thinking and delivering impact across 2 or 3 of our most significant client projects, across a wide variety of different sectors.
We expect you to break new ground in all aspects of branding through unconventional thinking and creativity. You’ll be highly competent in brand strategy, as well as being a change-maker, inspiring others to think and behave differently, stretching them to do their best and go beyond.
In addition to be a leading brand strategist, you will ideally also have skills in UX, helping large organisations to design and develop meaningful brand-led customer experiences and proof points, to drive real benefits and change across large scale organisations.
You understand what good looks like, being an expert in cutting through to the key insights and strategic rationale, as well as a compelling storyteller to inspire your clients and your teams to take action.
You will be keen to play an active role in our strategy community, sharing your skills with others, to help them develop, as well as pioneering new methodologies and tools to power our business forward.
You will continue to build on your reputation, becoming a preferred choice for client referrals and pushing the work to uphold and enhance our standards. Being a role model for your teams, clients and Wolff Olins.
You are responsible for:
- Ensuring our work meets and exceeds client expectations and builds WO reputation
- Leading the strategic thinking on key client projects and managing your teams to make the right impact
- Having knowledge of UX, in terms of designing and developing meaningful brand-led customer experiences and proof points that drive real change
- Guiding and inspiring your team to get the best out of them and create opportunities for all team members to stretch their skills and grow
- Taking an active role in new business, creating compelling pitches that break the mould and take us into new areas and challenges
- Pushing the ambition and quality of the work on your projects and ensuring it meets Wolff Olins’ exacting standards and makes us proud.
- Being aware of the financial targets and needs of our business, playing an active role in ensuring that budgets for your jobs are used carefully and effectively.
- Playing an active role in the Strategy and wider Wolff Olins community by contributing enthusiastically to our communities with new tools, methodologies and ways of working, as well as helping internal initiatives to take off.
- Have extensive experience in brand including a deep expertise of all the fundamentals of brand strategy (purpose, positioning, proposition, personality, values, naming and architecture) as well as a good understand of the creative process to develop and refresh brand identities
- Speak the language of change with knowledge of UX (user experience) designing and developing meaningful brand-led customer experiences and proof points across large-scale organisations
- Most likely have a rich experience of roles and deep sector experience, working previously at reputable agencies or consultancies, possibly with a post-graduate qualification, e.g. MBA.
- Have previously led a variety of multi-disciplinary teams including design teams
- Have previous experience in helping to change large, established organizations or up-scale fast growth, tech-led businesses.
- Push the boundaries- always seek to push the work further, having the ability to understand the core issue and trust your judgement. You enjoy learning at pace and often on the job. You take the initiative to gain further sight from multiple mediums.
- Create impact - recognised as a leading brand strategist; you have the ability to cut-through – you’re able to get to the heart of an idea, the crux of an insight and the core of a problem. In-person or in writing, you should be persuasive and articulate, helping people to see things in a new way allowing them to make leaps and break political impasses. You should be confident when challenging your team and looking to negotiate the best deal.
- Be a change maker – having skills in UX, being able to develop meaningful brand-led customer experiences and proof points across large scale organisations
- Be optimistic - you are optimistic for the world and our work, seeing setbacks as challenges, you readily accept change and thrive in ambiguity. You are receptive to feedback, actively encouraging others to critique work to push it forward.
- Deliver with intent - you think beyond your own delivery, taking active responsibility for the team, ensuring they understand how work should be organised and commitments are met. You enjoy being busy and can prioritise and deliver on multiple projects.
- Create innovation - you enjoy studying the underlying principles and applying theories to create concepts. You should be inventive, imaginative, determined to discover or create a more imaginative way to adopt original ideas and solutions which allow our clients to work to be transformative.
Our focus on people and the world:
Wolff Olins believes in creating an environment where people can bring their whole selves to work. We are interested in our people having diverse points of view and different perspectives on the world. We set out to equip our people with the knowledge, confidence and tools to do the best work of their lives. Our purpose is to help our people create transformative brands that push businesses, people and the world forward.